Peter Diffin, Network Engineer
- Twenty plus years experience in technology
- Ability to lead and manage large scale IT projects and develop high performing Teams
- Ability to research, design, present, implement, and support technology
- Ability to communicate efficiently to diverse audiences
- Follow-through, sense of ownership, and a commitment towards success
- Excellent logic skills and problem-solving abilities
Senior Network Engineer / Architect / Project Manager (Consultant Connectivity Based Integration)
January 98 – Present
Have led or been a team member on numerous IT projects. Responsibilities have included: business assessment, technology assessment, RFI, RFP, technology selection, vendor selection, technology design, roadmap, budget development, business case (cost benefit analysis), procurement, buildout and implementation, support, training, documentation, and overall project management. Extensive experience in network technologies ensures the ability to analyze, troubleshoot, and provide the most appropriate and scalable solution for any IT environment.
Projects (2004 – present)
- Multiple SDN Data Center deployments – Teradata QA and Production deployments of Cisco ACI using Cisco 9K spine/leaf and Palo Alto firewalls. Responsibilities included creating design documents and test plans, implementation of fully functional lab environment, deployment of production fabric using Python, GitHub, and Jenkins for scripting and automation, and support of customer migrations from the legacy platform into the fabric. January 2018 – March 2019
- Operations support of F5 infrastructure – NCR/Digital Insight operational turnover of the F5 infrastructure from DevOps to the Network team. Documented the environment, created SOPs, and trained the Network team on supporting the F5 infrastructure including GTMs and LTMs. Saved $250K by reallocating vCMP guests on Viprions as opposed to purchasing new blades. June 2016 – Oct 2016
- Enterprise Infrastructure Monitoring – NCR/Digital Insight implementation of Enterprise Infrastructure Monitoring. Provided thorough vendor analysis and aligned them with defined business requirements. Deployed and supported Riverbed SteelCentral suite for APM and NPMD that spanned multi Data Centers and provided IT Network Operations a single tool for performance, capacity, and fault management. Also supported the deployment and customization of AppDynamics, Splunk, Gigamon, and ThousandEyes to support other IT Operations and Security Teams requirements. Feb 2015 – June 2016
- Design and Implement Data Center Consolidation and Infrastructure Refresh – Banc of California consolidation of Data Centers into new location and investing in next generation technology to increase capacity and availability. This includes designing and implementing of the network infrastructure composed of Cisco Nexus 77xx, 6K and 2K switching along with Cisco ASA and Fortinet firewall technology. Sept 2014 – Feb 2015
- Migrate Intuit Financial Services from Legacy Data Center to Cloud infrastructure – Intuit Financial Services provides web application hosting for over a 1,000 financial institutions across the US. Responsible for design and support of network infrastructure for migrating applications into Intuit cloud Data Centers including, active/active Data Center availability using F5 GTM, moving application logic into the network infrastructure using F5 LTM technologies (irules and data groups), firewall automation, Frame-relay to MPLS migrations, and addressing Data Center interconnectivity challenges. March 2014 – Aug 2014
- Develop Enterprise Data Center Network Architecture – BridgePoint Education redesign of existing infrastructure to provide always-on capabilities. This included developing roadmap, segmentation strategy, IP scheme, HA/AA components, Cloud provider integration strategy, physical and logical diagrams, BOMs, test plans, and Runbook utilizing Cisco 7K/5K/ASR, F5 GTM/LTM, and Palo Alto Network firewalls. June 2013 – March 2014
- Design and Implement Data Center Network Refresh and Segmentation Strategy – Kinecta Federal Credit Union security driven initiative to provide enhanced security within the Data Centers while enabling next generation technologies to increase performance and capacity. This included extensive requirements gathering across all IT Teams, requirements and architecture document, physical and logical diagrams, project plan, test plans, conversion of existing core infrastructure to Cisco 7K/5K/ASA. Feb 2013 – June 2013
- Support Application Migration to new Data Centers – Intuit migration from San Diego Data Center and others to Quincy and Las Vegas Data Centers to support HA/DR strategy and DC consolidation. Residing member of AARB/TRB (Application Architecture Review Board/Technical Review Board) handling recommendations and approvals for all application migrations relative to the network infrastructure architecture and design principals. Feb 2011 – Feb 2013
- Buildout of Network Infrastructure for TurboTax Online in Quincy Data Center – Intuit flagship product to support migration out of San Diego DC while providing HA/DR. Responsible for implementation of solution using Cisco Nexus 5K/2K TOR, F5 Viprion, and Juniper SRX platforms. Aug 2010 – Feb 2011
- Buildout of Quincy WA Data Center and Cloud Computing Environment – Intuit Hosting Platform to support automation and cloud computing model. Including evaluation and implementation of technologies such as Cisco 7K Nexus, Cisco 4948 TOR, F5 Viprion, and Juniper SRX platforms using VDCs, VRFs, OSPF, and routing domains. April 2009 – Aug 2010
- Network Infrastructure Support and Technology Refresh – Intuit Consumer Tax Group (CTG) which includes TurboTax, TurboTax Online, Electronic Filing Engine, ETX, Live Community and a number of other applications. Responsible for supporting all aspects of network infrastructure for Tax Years 2007 – 2008 and implemented a technology refresh of the load balancer environments from Cisco to F5. Aug 2007 – April 2009
- Data Center Network Infrastructure Design and Buildout – Intuit Early Access (EA) Data Center which included a three zone security model, Internet connectivity, Metro Ethernet, and core infrastructure. Responsible for design and implementation of Cisco LAN, WAN, FWSMs, VSS, and F5 LTMs. June 2007 – Aug 2007
- Rebuild of Network Management Platform – Intuit CiscoWorks platform rebuild and upgrade which manages over 1,100 network devices. Responsible for planning and implementing CiscoWorks LMS with a distributed fault-tolerant DCR design. Feb 2007 – June 2007
- Complete Infrastructure Design and Implementation – Carrington Capital formation of Carrington Mortgage Services which included two Call Center Facilities and Disaster Recovery Site. Responsible for planning and implementing Cisco LAN, MPLS WAN, DMVPN, QoS, E-Commerce, and 2-Tier Security Model. June 2006 – Feb 2007
- Corporate Relocation Project – New Century Mortgage 440,000 square feet of leased space in a large campus environment, including the design and buildout of 7 IDFs, 1 BDF, and 1 MDF. Responsible for planning, coordinating, and leading all Enterprise Network Services activities. Jan 2005– June 2006
- Data Center Consolidation – New Century Mortgage consolidation of four Southern California Data Centers into the newly built Data Center Expansion area. Responsible for planning, coordinating, and leading all Enterprise Network Services activities. When the project concluded over 600 servers had been moved. Jan 2005 – March 2006
- Data Center Expansion – New Century Mortgage 2,500 square foot Data Center expansion, UPS room, and MDF. Responsible for planning, coordinating, and leading all Enterprise Network Services activities. Oct 2004 – Jan 2005
Projects (1998 – 2004)
- Enterprise Storage Solution strategic decision to move from direct attached storage to centralized storage.
- VoIP Evaluation between Cisco and Avaya VoIP solutions.
- Content Delivery Strategy using Cisco Enterprise Content Delivery Network to improve content distribution and corporate communications.
- Network Management formation of a Network Management Group and equipping the team with the appropriate NMS tools.
- Designed, implemented, and supported VoIP projects based on the Cisco UCS solution for several federal clients.
- Infrastructure design and implementation for numerous federal clients.
- Network Operations Center management systems design, implementation, and training for Norwich Union.
- Nortel infrastructure upgrade to ATM backbone for Danbury Health System.
- Mainframe connectivity using Netware SAA, Windows SNA, and s/390 OSA TCP/IP for Danbury Health System.
- Cisco VPN with SecurID integration for remote access at several medical facilities.
- Implementation and support for various Network Management Systems, which were, contracted through Shared Medical Systems, one of the largest healthcare systems provider.
- Design and implementation of client/server and NOS solutions in 1000+ node distributed environments, which included both Netware and Windows for several commercial clients.
Teradata, Getgo LogMeIn, NCR/Digital Insight, Intuit, FICO, Banc of California, Kinecta Federal Credit Union, BridgePoint Education, Carrington Capital, New Century Mortgage, Agilysys, ACS, Credit Center Inc., MedFinancial, Danbury Health System, Torrance Police Department, Norwich Union (United Kingdom), United States Department of Defense, United States Department of Veterans Affairs, United Stated Forest Service, United States Army Corps of Engineers, Federal Bureau of Investigation, United States Department of the Interior, United States Bureau of Reclamation, Alaska Native Medical Center, Environmental Protection Agency, TechMasters, Federal Network Services
Recent technical areas of experience include but are not limited to:
Cisco – Nexus 9K, 7K, 6K, 5K, 3K, 2K fex with VDCs, ACI 3.x & 2.X, VXLAN, APIC, ASR 100x, ASR 9010, 39xx ISR, 72xxVXR, 73xx, 75xx , routers, Catalyst 35xx, 37xx, 38xx, 40xx, 4224, 45xx, 5500, 65xx, VSS switches, ACE modules/appliances, VTP, MSFC, HSRP, FWSM modules, ASDM, Cisco Firepwer, WAAS, Cisco Prime Infrastructure, ISE, ACS, UCS / CallManager, IP phones, SoftPhone, ActiveVoice / Unity, WLC, wireless bridges and Access Points
Data Center / xDF – Powerware UPS, APC UPS, Liebert UPS and HVAC, N+1 design, A/B power, ATS, Generator, EPO, NEMA configurations, FM-200, Sapphire, pre-action fire suppression, VESTA smoke detection, Chatsworth relay racks, APC server racks, Avocent, seismic bracing, structured cabling, cable management, ladder racks, grounding, VTC and raised flooring, APC PDUs, APC environmental monitors
F5 – Viprion, 5020V, 8900, 8800, 8400, 6400 LTM and GTM using 13.x, 12.x, 11.x and 10.x code, vCMP, ASM, APM, irules, iAPPS, vCMP, HA, Enterprise Manager
Palo Alto – Panorama, VM series, PA 5250 and PA 3260 firewalls, 7.x & 8.x code
IP Routing protocols – RIPv2, OSPF, BGP, EIGRP, ISIS
Juniper – SRX 5800 firewalls, M480, M240, M120 and M10 routers
LAN – 100/40/10 Gigabit Ethernet, 10/100/1000 Base-TX, 100/1000 Base-FX, single-mode and multi-mode fiber, FDDI, CAT-3/5/5e/6 copper, Ethernet, Token Ring, Spanning Tree, SRB, VLAN, VXLAN
Microsoft – NT/2000/2003/2008/2012 Server, Active Directory, SNA, SQL, SMS, Exchange, IIS, SharePoint
Network Management – Riverbed SteelCentral/Opnet, PRTG, Solarwinds, Splunk, AppDynamics, Gigamon, HP OpenView, NetScout, SNMPv1/2/3, Datadog, ThousandEyes
Project Planning – SDLC, PMI methodology, SCRUM, Agile, MS Project, PowerPoint, Visio Enterprise, Outlook, Excel, Word, Ontime
Protocols – TCP/IP, multicast, IGMP, CGMP, WCCP, 802.11x, CDP, LACP, 802.1q, STP
Security –Fortinet, WatchGuard, Check Point, RSA SecurID
Unix/Linux Operating Systems – Redhad, CentOS, BSD, Solaris
Virtualization – VMWare ESX, vCloud, vCenter, vShpere, MS Hyper-V
VoIP – SIP, H.32x, Codec g.7xx, VoFR, VoATM, FXO, FXS, E&M, QoS, CoS, MGCP, SRST, Polycom video conferencing
WAN – Metro Ethernet (Cisco ONS), Gigaman (Nortel Optera), MPLS, DMVPN, VRF, ATM, , OC-192, Frame Relay, ISDN PRI/BRI
Computer Engineer (TerraNet)
January 94 – July 96
Co-founded computer firm in St. Augustine, FL. Duties included in house and on site repairs and service, PC integration, PC upgrades, Novell Network support, LANtastic network support, telephone support, purchasing, accounts payable, accounts receivable and overall operation of the business.
Western Governors University 2013-2014
Bachelors of Science, IT Network Design and Management
CISSP – Certified Information Systems Security Professional
F5 Certified Technology Specialist, LTM and GTM
VMware Certified Associate 6 – Data Center Virtualization, Network Virtualization, Cloud Management and Automation